Want to get involved in a fun, safe, accessible and beneficial activity by the beach? Come join the Silver Salties program for older Australians 65+ at North Avoca SLSC today.
65+ age group make up:
- 15% of the Australian population i.e. approx. 3.8 million people.
- 30% born overseas and 20% speak a language other than English.
- 5% are employed and 20% volunteer their time on one or more projects
- 70% are overweight or obese.
- 20% experience disability in the form of severe or profound core activity limitation.
- Like all people, they like to feel special, 10-15% experience depression and about 10% experience anxiety.
In 2020 North Avoca Surf Life Saving Club were proud to take part in the SLSA pilot of the Silver Salties program.
Silver Salties is a physical activity and social connections initiative for older Australians designed by Surf Life Saving Australia in conjunction with Surf Life Saving Clubs and funded by Sport Australia’s Move It Aus – Better Ageing Grants Program. Silver Salties is designed for older Australians, however people of all ages can participate.
The Silver Salties program at North Avoca Surf Life Saving Club is an opportunity to engage older Australians in our community, re-engage older club members, capitalise on older Australians’ life experiences, educate older Australians about water safety, attract new members to the club, and receive subsidies to run approved Silver Salties programs and/or to develop innovative approaches/programs.
All members and non-members of North Avoca SLSC are welcomed to join in.
If you would like more information or wish to join one of our North Avoca SLSC Silver Salties Programs, please contact us at email@example.com
Our Current pilot North Avoca Silver Salties Programs are:
Surf Swim Group – Join the weekly North Avoca Surf Swimming Group to increase your physical fitness and social connections.
While the Silver Salties Program is aimed predominately at our 65+ age groups, at North Avoca we welcome all ages to join in.
The surf swim group lead by Rick Parsons and Paul Johnson meets every: