Join North Avoca Nippers for the 2023/24 Season
Nippers is a junior activity program run to educate children about surf safety, develop their beach awareness and teach them the skills to competently swim in the ocean. Children aged 5 to 14 years old gain confidence through our Sunday nipper days at North Avoca in a safe beach environment, while meeting new friends, having fun and working towards becoming a future surf lifesaver.
Nipper days are held each Sunday with every age group having an Age Manager with one or two assistants. The Age Manager is responsible for the education, training and organisation of the group.
Nippers is held on Sunday mornings from mid-October to late February / early March with a break over the Christmas and New Year period.
Each Sunday all age groups will start on the beach in front of the club house with your age flag and manager.
Under 6 and Under 7s programs run from 9am to 10am
Under 8 age groups and above programs run from 9.30am to approximately 11am
We encourage you to be there 15 minutes before the scheduled commencement time, and all nippers to be wearing their club swimming costumes, cap, sunscreen, optional wet shirt and bring their water bottle.
Age Managers will call a roll call and mark off an attendance sheet before a group warm up. Each age group has a timetable to follow alternating between beach and water events.
Children are not to leave the Clubhouse or its surrounds until collected by the adult responsible for them. At least one parent/guardian needs to be on the beach at all times. We recommend to tell the Age Manager where you will be if you are unable to be with the group.
U6 and U7 nippers are required to have one parent/guardian with the group at all times.
Nippers Safety Policy
Some key messages to keep our nippers safe, please remember:
- Parents must remain on the beach and assist where possible.
- Nippers must wear the North Avoca SLSC cap and pink vest during nippers, at all training sessions and carnivals.
- Nippers must be grouped and briefed prior to any water activities starting.
- Nippers may not enter water until instructed by club water safety.
- Sunscreen should be applied prior to nippers and during if necessary.
- Hats can be worn by nippers during their beach activities.
Dates for your Diary 2023/24 Season
- First Day of Nippers for the 2023/24 Season – 8th October 2022
- First Training Session for 2023/24 Season- For Nippers U9- U14: 10th October 2022, The Haven beach Terrigal pending weather
- Last Day of Nippers for before the 2023 Christmas Break – TBA